The Benefits of Power Washing Your Property
Power washing, also known as pressure washing, is a great way to give your property a fresh look by removing dirt, grime, and other debris. It involves a cleaning technique that uses high-pressure water spray to clean surfaces on the exterior of a property. Discover the benefits of pressure washing, the difference between commercial and homeowner power washing, and when it makes sense to hire a professional.
The Benefits of Pressure Washing Your Property
Power washing the exterior of your home or building has numerous benefits, including:
- Improve curb appeal – Whether you’re a homeowner or own a retail shop, over time, exterior surfaces like siding, sidewalks, and driveways can accumulate dirt, mold, and other stains that can make a property look dirty and unappealing. Power washing can quickly and easily remove these stains, giving the property a fresh, clean appearance.
- Prevent damage – Dirt and grime can build up on surfaces over time and cause damage if left untreated. For example, mold and mildew can grow on roofs and lead to rot, and algae can make surfaces slippery and dangerous. Power washing can remove these harmful substances before it’s too late.
- Prepare for painting or staining – If you’re planning to paint or stain your property, power washing can be a crucial step in preparing the surface. By removing dirt and other contaminants, it will help the paint or stain adhere properly and look its best.
- Maintain property value – A well-maintained property is more likely to retain its value than one that is neglected. Power washing is a simple and effective way to maintain the cleanliness and appearance of your property and keep it looking its best.
- Improve health and safety – Mold, mildew, and other contaminants that can gather on exterior surfaces can be harmful to health and safety. Mold alone can trigger allergies and respiratory problems. Power washing can help remove these substances and create a healthier and safer environment.
So what exactly does power washing entail? Depending on whether you’re cleaning a residential or commercial property, there are a few steps involved.
Commercial vs. Homeowner Power Washing
Power-washing a residential property versus a commercial property requires different considerations and tools.
In general, power washing a residential property typically doesn’t require as much advanced planning since only the immediate residents will be impacted. However, ensuring safety and using the correct detergent for the surface material are critical. Power washing can be dangerous, which is why industry professionals always wear eye and ear protection and non-slip shoes, and avoid spraying water near electrical outlets or power cords.
In contrast, commercial pressure washing involves some specific considerations — whether it’s a retail storefront, multi-family property, office building, or warehouse. These include:
- Complying with local regulations – A power washing company will be familiar with your local regulations for commercial power washings. Some areas may have restrictions on the use of power washing equipment.
- Choosing the right time – Make sure to schedule the power washing at a time that won’t interfere with your business operations. If the busiest time for your coffee shop is 8am on a weekday, that’s probably not the best time to start power washing.
- Communicating with tenants or employees – If you have tenants or employees in your commercial property, make sure to let them know beforehand. Inform them about when the power washing will take place and any precautions they need to take, like closing windows or removing decor items from outside.
When It Makes Sense to Hire a Professional Power Washing Service
Power washing can be an effective way to remove dirt, gunk, and contaminants from surfaces, but there are some risks to keep in mind. These include:
- Property damage – Using a power washer improperly or with the wrong cleaning solution can cause damage to the surfaces you’re cleaning, including cracks, dents, or discoloration. In extreme cases, power washing can even remove paint or other coatings.
- Injury – Power washing involves high-pressure water, which can cause injuries if it comes into contact with the skin or eyes. Additionally, standing on ladders or uneven surfaces to reach higher areas can increase the risk of falls.
- Environmental impact – The runoff from power washing can contain chemicals and pollutants that may harm the environment. This is especially true if the cleaning solution is not biodegradable or if the runoff is not contained and disposed of properly.
If you’re unsure about how to safely and effectively power wash your property, consider hiring a professional power washing service instead. Some benefits of using an eco-friendly power-washing company include:
- Professional-grade equipment – Professional power washing companies typically have access to commercial-grade equipment that’s more powerful and efficient than consumer-grade equipment. This can provide a more thorough and effective cleaning, especially for larger areas or heavily soiled surfaces.
- Experience and expertise – Professional power washing technicians have experience and are skilled in cleaning a wide range of surfaces, from delicate materials to tough stains. They also know how to use different cleaning agents and techniques to achieve the best results without damaging the surface.
- Environmental friendliness – Eco-friendly power-washing services tend to use non-toxic, biodegradable cleaning solutions that are safe for the environment. They also take steps to minimize the amount of water used and prevent runoff from contaminating local water sources.
- Time and convenience – Power washing can be a time-consuming task, especially for larger properties or multi-unit buildings. By hiring a professional provider, you can save time and avoid the hassle of renting equipment, purchasing cleaning solutions, and setting aside a whole day to complete the task.
- Liability – Power washing can be a risky task, and property owners who choose to DIY may be liable for any damage or injuries that occur. Professional power-washing companies typically have insurance coverage and take the necessary safety precautions to minimize the risk of accidents or property damage.
Getting Started with Eco-Friendly Power Washing
Power washing is a great way to keep your property looking its best, whether it’s a residential or commercial building. As an eco-friendly pressure-washing service, CheckSammy offers a superior clean while taking the necessary steps to protect the environment and our customers. Get in touch today to request a power wash.
Dive deeper into the CheckSammy Blog by reading one of our posts below
Feeling the Pain of Higher Resident Turnover? Apartment Junk Removal Can Help
If you’re a property manager, you’ve probably had a significant increase in tenant turnover over the last couple of years. So it’s no wonder apartment junk removal may be top of mind for you right now. There are several reasons for this shift. For one, the housing market is on fire right now. In 2020 […]Read More
Setting Up a Community E-waste Recycling Program
E-waste is the fastest-growing municipal waste stream according to the EPA, yet e-waste recycling isn’t keeping pace. In fact, only 12.5% of all e-waste is recycled, reports the EPA. Starting a community e-waste recycling program is a terrific way to ensure hazardous e-waste, like lithium-ion batteries, doesn’t end up in your community’s landfill. Creating an […]Read More
Waste Management’s Role in the Circular Economy
Establishing a waste management program for your business or community is one of the best ways you can contribute to the circular economy. Here’s everything you need to know about waste management’s role in the circular economy (and how to get involved). What Is the Circular Economy? Our current economic model is all about taking […]Read More
5 Reasons to Consider a Textile Recycling Program for Your Organization
Americans sent more than 17 million tons of textiles to landfills in 2018, a volume that is only increasing every year, reports the Environmental Protection Agency. When you think about the fact that it can take over 200 years for textiles to decompose, it’s easy to grasp how large textile waste’s contribution is to the […]Read More
8 Benefits of Environmentally Friendly Power Washing Services
If you’re into maintaining the curb appeal of your business or home, then you’ve probably heard of pressure washing. Pressure cleaning involves using high-pressure water spray to remove grime, mold, dust, paint, mud, and other junk from objects or surfaces. Many people worry that pressure washing isn’t good for the environment, but this couldn’t be […]Read More
Why Our Customers Love Our Full-Service Junk Removal
If you’re looking for full-service junk removal services, you’ve come to the right place. CheckSammy is a one-stop shop for all your junk removal and sustainability needs. From our affordability, simplicity, and unrivaled turnaround times to our innovative sustainability solutions and patented technology and data, it’s clear why some of North America’s biggest companies choose […]Read More
Tips for a Stress-Free Move From An Eco-Friendly Junk Removal Company
What does an eco-friendly junk removal company know about moving? Quite a lot, actually. Moving can be an especially chaotic time. You have to pack everything up, get rid of unwanted items, clean your property, load everything up, and move your things to your new location. That doesn’t even include the unpacking and resettling period. […]Read More
College Junk Removal Tips for Student Move-In Day
As the new school year gears up, colleges across the country are looking for ways to clean up their campuses before the new year begins, and many of them want to do so sustainably. College junk removal isn’t easy, though, especially around move-in week—and when trying to do so sustainably. As students move in and […]Read More
8 Items Hospitality Businesses May Not Know They Can Recycle
One hotel guest produces 2.5 pounds of trash every single day. Just a single hotel room produces around one cubic yard of waste each month, which totals 200 gallons of waste per room every month. Most of this waste goes straight to the landfill, even though research shows that up to 60% of it is […]Read More