If you haven’t heard of sustainable mailback recycling or sustainable prepaid recycling programs yet, they offer a simple solution to a complex problem.
As contractors, big box stores, and other large organizations know, it’s difficult to recycle things like fluorescent bulbs, CFLs, e-waste, and other hazardous items. You can’t just toss them out in your dumpster or recycling bin, and many states and local jurisdictions even prohibit it. So, what’s the alternative?
If you just have one bulb, disposal is relatively easy. But what if you’re retrofitting an entire clinic and have 10,500 bulbs to recycle? Or your university decides to upgrade to energy-efficient lighting, and you now have 62,600 fluorescent lights on your hands?
Even small retrofitting jobs can result in hundreds of cast-off bulbs. This is when things get a little complicated. There’s no easy way to locally dispose of hundreds or thousands of bulbs. But what if all you had to do was mail them in?
The 4 Benefits of a Sustainable Prepaid Recycling Program
A sustainable prepaid recycling program is a simple, cost-effective solution. Rather than spending valuable time searching for a reputable, licensed, and insured contractor or disposal site, mailback recycling takes care of everything for you.
Simply place your hard-to-dispose recyclables in the appropriate receptacle for each item and send it off. It’s a straightforward, no-fuss way to handle potentially hazardous materials. And when you choose a partner like CheckSammy, there are even more benefits.
Here’s what to look for in a sustainable prepaid recycling program:
1. Competitive Pricing: Choose a sustainable mailback recycling program that eliminates the middleman. When your recycling materials go straight to the recycling center, where the disposal takes place, you get better prices. Also, look for upfront pricing with no hidden fees, so you know exactly how much to budget and don’t have to worry about surprise billing.
2. Nationwide Coverage: By choosing a company with a footprint across North America, you’ll be able to participate in a sustainable mailback recycling program no matter where you’re located. And with most programs, you’ll pay the same price for the receptacle (and shipping) regardless of your location.
3. Hassle-Free Process: A sustainable prepaid recycling program takes the stress out of recycling for companies, contractors, universities, hospitals, and any other organization that needs an easy, cost-effective way to safely dispose of their lightbulbs and other mercury- and gas-containing items. No more searching for local, certified contractors to recycle these materials.
An effective sustainable prepaid recycling program typically follows a basic, 3-step process:
- Step One: Order the appropriate receptacle. (You’ll receive everything you need for packing and shipping).
- Step Two: Pack up the container with your items and send it back via FedEx or UPS with the included prepaid label.
- Step Three: Relax and wait to receive your certificate of destruction—and other granular data for your sustainability reporting, if the vendor offers it.
4. Authenticated and Verifiable Data: The top sustainable prepaid recycling programs verify their process with a certificate of destruction. But only select vendors also offer comprehensive data for your ESG metrics, including authenticated and verifiable reports, charts, graphs, and item weights, all at no extra charge. Receiving granular data is a big differentiator for many organizations looking to improve their sustainability efforts.
Getting Started with Sustainable Mailback Recycling
Sustainable prepaid recycling programs offer numerous benefits to companies and organizations nationwide. CheckSammy’s program in particular enables you to take advantage of a hassle-free, affordable mailback recycling plan. With nationwide coverage (excluding Alaska, Hawaii, and Maine at this time), and a simple process, contractors and companies across the country are benefitting from this cost-effective prepaid recycling program.
When given the option of trying to locate a reputable disposal site that will take hundreds (or thousands) of lightbulbs or simply tossing them in a container and mailing them off—there really is no contest. Plus, with our authenticated and verifiable data, you get all the information you need (including item weights) for your ESG metrics and compliance.
Curious to learn more about CheckSammy’s sustainable mailback recycling program? Get in touch today. We look forward to helping you tackle your hard-to-recycle waste!
Dive deeper into the CheckSammy Blog by reading one of our posts below
Feeling the Pain of Higher Resident Turnover? Apartment Junk Removal Can Help
If you’re a property manager, you’ve probably had a significant increase in tenant turnover over the last couple of years. So it’s no wonder apartment junk removal may be top of mind for you right now. There are several reasons for this shift. For one, the housing market is on fire right now. In 2020 […]Read More
Setting Up a Community E-waste Recycling Program
E-waste is the fastest-growing municipal waste stream according to the EPA, yet e-waste recycling isn’t keeping pace. In fact, only 12.5% of all e-waste is recycled, reports the EPA. Starting a community e-waste recycling program is a terrific way to ensure hazardous e-waste, like lithium-ion batteries, doesn’t end up in your community’s landfill. Creating an […]Read More
Waste Management’s Role in the Circular Economy
Establishing a waste management program for your business or community is one of the best ways you can contribute to the circular economy. Here’s everything you need to know about waste management’s role in the circular economy (and how to get involved). What Is the Circular Economy? Our current economic model is all about taking […]Read More