You have a business to run, and managing waste and junk as an entire organization can be a challenging task. Still, improper junk disposal can have a significant impact on the environment, contributing to pollution and increasing greenhouse gas emissions. On a business level, pursuing junk removal in an irresponsible way can also impact your company’s reputation and finances in the case of ESG violations or scandals. But sustainable junk removal is easier than it might seem. That’s why we’re talking about responsible junk disposal today – and how you can do it without overburdening your company or employees.
The Landfill Problem
There’s an increasing amount of waste being generated around the world, and not enough space is left to dispose of it. With landfills worldwide becoming full, it’s more and more difficult and expensive to find new locations for waste disposal. In addition, the large amounts of waste being sent to landfills every day pose significant environmental and health risks.
Landfills themselves are not a sustainable solution to waste management because they tend to pollute the surrounding air, water, and soil and emit greenhouse and other gasses that continue to destroy the ozone layer and expose nearby communities to health risks. The growing severity of the landfill shortage, coupled with increasing concerns around pollution and climate change, make sustainable waste management and junk removal solutions all the more important.
Businesses, more than individual citizens, are often significant contributors to the junk and waste that are generated each day. By implementing sustainable junk removal and waste management practices, companies can reduce their environmental impact and demonstrate their commitment to sustainability. Not to mention that, with more consumers choosing to buy from socially responsible companies, businesses that prioritize sustainable practices can improve their brand reputation and attract more customers.
While junk removal may seem straightforward, many traditional junk removal vendors skip any efforts at diverting waste and instead haul all the items a business is getting rid of straight to the dump without even trying to recycle it. This contributes to the 9.5 million tons of reusable waste that is sent to landfills every year.
So what does sustainable junk removal look like? Let’s paint a picture.
How Sustainable Junk Removal Works: Sort, Separate, & Recycle
Sustainable junk removal involves making a deliberate effort to divert as many items as possible from the waste stream, through reuse and recycling. Working with a committed sustainable junk removal company can make this process easier for your business. At CheckSammy, we’ve been committed to sustainable junk removal since day one. We prioritize responsible junk disposal and recycling practices through a proven approach:
- Sort and Separate – After we’ve collected your junk, we sort it by item type and material, separating it into different categories so we can quickly divert each one to the appropriate source.
- Recycle – All of the items that can be recycled are hauled to a sustainable recycling vendor that accepts those materials, including electronics, metal, and different types of plastic.
- Donate – We donate items that still have some lifespan left in them (i.e., gently used items) to local charities and nonprofit organizations, contributing to the local economy and providing resources to those in need.
- Proper Disposal – For items that cannot be recycled or donated, we dispose of them responsibly and in compliance with local and federal regulations.
- Data Delivery – We photograph, catalog, and weigh every item that we pick up, document its final destination, and provide a track-and-trace report after every junk removal service that tells you where your items ended up – helpful data for ESG reporting.
But our sustainability efforts don’t end there. We also leverage:
- Eco-Friendly Vehicles – Our vehicles are designed to be eco-friendly and fuel-efficient, reducing our carbon footprint and helping minimize our impact on the environment.
- Education – We’re committed to educating our customers and the broader community about sustainable junk removal practices, and the importance of reducing, reusing, and recycling whenever possible. We often partner with our corporate and government customers to deliver education programs to their end users.
- Carbon Offset Marketplace – Organizations can purchase carbon offsets from our network of nonprofit partners that have been certified by independent third-party organizations and whose efforts represent a reduction in emissions of carbon dioxide or other greenhouse gasses.
Data Matters: Unalterable, Verifiable Junk Removal & Recycling Data
At CheckSammy, we believe that technology is key to ESG reporting. Which is why we stay on the cutting edge of sustainability technology to gather granular, dependable metrics on all of our services and solutions. The data we provide is both unalterable and verifiable, enabling organizations to use it in their ESG reports with confidence, which can help improve their ESG score. This way, you aren’t just talking the talk, you’re walking the walk – ensuring your sustainability efforts truly count and protecting your business interests against the risk of greenwashing or environmental non-compliance.
Getting Started with Responsible, Sustainable Junk Removal
We believe that sustainable junk removal is not only our responsibility but also our obligation to the environment and our global community. By adopting sustainable practices, your organization and ours can make a positive impact together, while efficiently managing our waste and junk and driving efficiencies for our businesses. To see how you can work with CheckSammy and start implementing sustainable junk removal and recycling practices, get in touch today.
Dive deeper into the CheckSammy Blog by reading one of our posts below
Feeling the Pain of Higher Resident Turnover? Apartment Junk Removal Can Help
If you’re a property manager, you’ve probably had a significant increase in tenant turnover over the last couple of years. So it’s no wonder apartment junk removal may be top of mind for you right now. There are several reasons for this shift. For one, the housing market is on fire right now. In 2020 […]Read More
Setting Up a Community E-waste Recycling Program
E-waste is the fastest-growing municipal waste stream according to the EPA, yet e-waste recycling isn’t keeping pace. In fact, only 12.5% of all e-waste is recycled, reports the EPA. Starting a community e-waste recycling program is a terrific way to ensure hazardous e-waste, like lithium-ion batteries, doesn’t end up in your community’s landfill. Creating an […]Read More
Waste Management’s Role in the Circular Economy
Establishing a waste management program for your business or community is one of the best ways you can contribute to the circular economy. Here’s everything you need to know about waste management’s role in the circular economy (and how to get involved). What Is the Circular Economy? Our current economic model is all about taking […]Read More